"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list" ~ Susan Sontag

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Portland's Pittock Mansion

I had a weekend class again, which traditionally can make it difficult to go hiking or even work out since I am in class all day Friday and all day Saturday in Portland.  However, while sitting in class Saturday afternoon I knew we would get out a little early. So I looked up good little hikes in the Portland city limits.  I landed on Macleay Park to Pittock Mansion! It was a beautiful day and just the right temperature to hike!

Starting at Lower Macleay Park, I followed Balch Creek for about three quarters of a mile. At that point I reached an old stone house. The trail either goes straight on or you can curve up to the right straight uphill. I was not positive on which trail was the correct one to take. As I tried to figure it out, another hiker came along and I was able to ask which trail went to Pittock Mansion. Straight on I continued onto the Wildwood Trail. Crossing over the creek on a footbridge, I began climbing out of the Balch Creek canyon to reach Upper Macleay Park on Cornell road.  I crossed Cornell Road and continued uphill on the Wildwood trail to the top arriving at the Pittock Mansion.

It was a wonderful view of Portland and of Mt. Hood.  There was several photoshoots happening while I was up there including a QuinceaƱera and an engagement shoot! 

It was a great hike without requiring much travel! I am now always aware of and researching hikes I can do when I am travelling!

  • Date of hike: May 31st, 2014
  • Distance: 5 miles
  • Elevation gain: 900 feet
  • Difficulty: Moderate
  • Miles thus far: 86/100 miles this year

Pittock mansion (top photo), Stone house as you come to the Wildwood Trail (bottom left), Balch Creek (bottom right) 

Beautiful day at Pittock Mansion
 Incredible view of the city of Portland

No comments:

Post a Comment