"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list" ~ Susan Sontag

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

100 miles.... COMPLETE!

I thought it would take me the whole year to get to 100 miles of hiking, however, it only took about 3 1/2 months!

I have been doing my clinical hours for my Masters in Counseling internship in Corvallis on Thursdays and Fridays. I finished up this Friday early and decided to go hike Bald Hill on the west side of Corvallis. I have hiked this twice before, but this time I started in a different place.

I parked on the north side of the park off of NW Oak Creek Dr.  I took an immediate right turn and hiked along some farmland leading to another path that took me to the base of the hill. I winded around the hill a bit and then took a trail that lead me straight up to the top.  From the top I went back down on a different path and was a little unsure of where it would take me. It ended up being a loop back to the top, so I had to turn around and find a path that would take me to the bottom. I eventually got to the bottom and was near the other entrance to the park off of SW Reservoir Ave.  Following the paved path, I took a right where I thought it would take me back to the beginning where I started. However, after getting all the way to the end of this path, I realized I was not where I started, I was at the Benton County Fairgrounds! There was no path that would take me directly to where I started, so I had to go all the way back the way I came. After taking the correct way at the fork in the trail, I came across the trademark run down barn that is a part of this park.  Of course I had to stop and check it out. There was a field of incredibly giant dandelion wishes surrounding the barn. It was whimsical.  Back on the trail, I followed it to the end and successfully made it back to my car!

I had planned it to only be a couple miles, however, I took a couple wrong turns and it ended up being about a 5 mile hike...bringing me to my 100 mile mark!

I also have had a lot of extra energy lately and had weird urges to run/jog. And if anyone knows me, I am certainly not a person who enjoys running. The only way I am running is if someone or something is chasing me. So this hike I actually ran a good amount on the trails.

  • Date of hike: June 13th, 2014
  • Distance: 5 miles
  • Elevation gain: 500 feet
  • Difficulty: Easy
  • Miles thus far: 100/100 miles this year

At the top of Bald Hill (left photo), Old restored barn (top right), View of Corvallis area from the top (bottom right) 

Giant whimsical wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment