"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list" ~ Susan Sontag

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Opal Creek

My friend Caitlin and I really wanted to hike, but knowing it was supposed to be rainy, I had to choose one that didn't have a view since we would be covered by clouds anyway. Caitlin hadn't been to Opal Creek yet, so that is the one I chose.

However, as we got there, it wasn't a normal Oregon light drizzle. It was more like a torrential downpour.  There was a girl and two guys at the trailhead who asked me if I thought it would be that wet the whole hike... which I was very confused by. Unless the weather changes in general, the hike will be just like the weather we were experiencing at that moment. Caitlin and I definitely exchanged glances and internally laughed at this girl.

Being tough girls we hiked on.  Though I did figure we should not do the entire 12 mile loop. We decided to get to Sawmill falls (about 2.5 miles into the hike) and then decide if we wanted to go on to Jawbone Flats.  We did decide to go on for another mile to Jawbone Flats, but only for a few minutes since we were drenched from the rain.  We were both soaked and as beautiful as it was, I wouldn't recommend this, or really any, hike in the rain we endured! Ack!

  • Date of hike: March 7th, 2015
  • Distance: 5 Miles out and back
  • Elevation gain: 1500 Feet
  • Difficulty: Difficult 
  • Mile Mark: 259








No comments:

Post a Comment