"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list" ~ Susan Sontag

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Angel's Rest {Columbia River Gorge}


I stayed the weekend at my parents house and usually when I drive up to Portland for the weekend, I find it a nice excuse to hike in the Columbia River Gorge. The gorge is just stunning wherever you go, whether you just drive though, but especially when you hike into the steeping cliffs filled with incredible waterfalls and spectacular views. 


My friend Heather met me early saturday morning and we drove out to the Bridal Veil exit off of I-84 where the Angel's Rest Trailhead is just off of the freeway.  We trekked up the steep bluff and passed two waterfalls along the way, an overhead view of Coopey Falls and a quick detour to smaller Upper Coopey Falls. The forest  surrounding the summit burned in a fire in the 90s, and a lot of charred evidence remains. It is a unique landscape with much to see. 

After not being too sure if we had gone too far and missed it, we made it to the top.  The summit is characterized by a long, rocky spine surrounded on three sides by cliffs, showcasing a striking 270 degree view!You are set at an amazing vantage point for views of Beacon Rock, Silver Star Mountain and many other landmarks.  The real draw is the perspective of the river below - like you're on a balcony over a great auditorium. It's a near 2000 foot prominence, and its proximity to the Columbia River gives you the false sensation that you could dive from the summit to the water below.  From one point we could literally see the area we parked the car and see from an aerial view where we had hiked. It was incredible. 

In all, this was a spectacular hike with amazing views and gorgeous waterfalls! Next time I would love to hike up further to Devils Rest and do the full loop.


  • Date of hike: January 10th, 2015
  • Distance: 5 Miles Out and back
  • Elevation gain: 1450 Feet
  • Difficulty: Moderate
  • Mile Mark: 229

View west up the Columbia River
Coopey Falls





Heather and I at the top of Angel's Rest

No comments:

Post a Comment