"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list" ~ Susan Sontag

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Misery Ridge {Smith Rock}

I have been looking forward to hiking Smith Rock for months now and in December, I finally made it! Typically my family spends a week in Bend each winter, but due to my schedule I was only able to stay for the ending weekend. If I was there longer, I would have also hiked a few others like Tumalo Falls.  Anyways, Caitlin went with me for a much needed getaway and I was glad to have the company, especially on the icy drive over the pass!

Smith Rock State Park has several options for hiking, but I chose the one that would take me to the very top (and more challenging).  This loop is called Misery Ridge, and the name is not an exaggeration. We descended down to the crooked river bridge and took a left to follow the Canyon Trail.  This winds around following the Crooked River flowing through the park as you are towered over by the rock formations.  It is a very popular spot for rock climbing and it is fun to stop and watch the climbers scale the massive rock wall.  As we were hiking along the river, a beautiful Blue Herron was relaxing by the river and he was an incredible sight.  After a few miles, you'll come to a junction and take the Mesa Verde Trail.  This ascends continuously until it meets with the Misery Ridge Trail itself.  By this time you will have some great views of Monkey Face.  Monkey Face is a 350 foot pillar that overhangs on all sides. And it looks like a giant monkey.  For climbers, it contains some of the most difficult climbs in the world. Misery Ridge Trail is a little hellish containing 7-8 switchbacks climbing straight up to the top of the rock.  I just kept telling myself that my butt would thank me for that later. Once at the top, make sure to breathe. Not only because you'll be pretty out of breath from the climb, but also because the view is stunning.

We spent a little time exploring on the top and watching the crazy climbers who made it to the top of Monkey Face. We then came back down on the front side of the trail that meets right back at the Crooked River Bridge. However, it is a little scary descending the many switchbacks on the front trail as it is very steep and the ground is a lot of loose rock and dirt.  I've concluded that I am going to need some hiking poles soon.

It was a cold, killer, and stunning hike. Misery Ridge has definitely been one of my favorites in 2014.  Although, I'll admit, every time I go hiking to a new place I say this. I love them all!

  • Date of hike: December 13th, 2014
  • Distance: 4 Miles (roundtrip)
  • Elevation gain: 1000 feet 
  • Difficulty: Difficult
  • Mile Mark: 214

 Crooked River Bridge
 Beautiful Blue Herron on the River

 Ascending to Monkey Face
 Switchbacks from hell
 On top of Smith Rock
 On top of Smith Rock (Caitlin)
 On top of Smith Rock
 On top of Smith Rock
 On top of Smith Rock
 Monkey Face
 Monkey Face
 Smith Rock
 Monkey Face
 Caitlin and I on top of Smith Rock

 Panorama of the incredible view


No comments:

Post a Comment