"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list" ~ Susan Sontag

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Portland Sunset Hiking {Marquam Trail to Council Crest}

Sometimes I make wise decisions, and sometimes I overestimate what I can do in an hour and a half which turns into poor choices.  This was one of those times. I hated being cooped up all day Friday and Saturday in class, so naturally I wanted to hike before the sun set on Saturday.  I was up in Portland, which gave me the opportunity to take advantage of one of their many hikes within city limits.  I figured if I started at 6pm, I could be back by 8pm when the sun was setting. I did not anticipate the dark woods and ravines that I would be hiking through.

Marquam Trail to Council Crest Hike

I started at the Terwilliger Trailhead and began hiking uphill the 3.2 miles it takes to get to Council Crest. I noticed it was starting to get dark quicker than I anticipated on the way up and decided not to stay too long at the top. I figured it wouldn't be a problem, it would be close, but no worries because going downhill is quicker, right?

The top of Council Crest presented a stunning view on one side of the City of Roses and a beautiful sunset on the other side.  I snapped some pictures and headed back down the hill. I quickly realized that I was in trouble. It was quickly getting dark and by the time I got halfway down into the deepest ravine, it was pitch black. Luckily, I was raised with Boy Scouts which taught me their number one motto: "always be prepared." And in that spirit, I had a headlamp in my backpack.  It was a little frightening hiking in the dark woods by myself, but survivable.  I started thinking of Bear Grylls and Man vs. Wild. I was not really that threatened, but in the dark woods it certainly gets your adrenaline pumping.

Coming out of the ravine and up to Marquam Hill Rd, I had a couple of options. I could continue back down into the woods another mile to my car, or I could head down the road and go around 2 miles along the streets near OHSU.  I took one look at the trail down into the woods and turned right around down the road.  My phone was dying, but had enough energy to direct me back to my car. I am not sure if I've ever been so happy in my life to see my sweet little car.

I would highly recommend this hike, but perhaps in the morning or during the daytime.  :)

  • Date of hike: September 6th, 2014
  • Distance: 7 miles (the hike was supposed to be about 6 miles, but I had to add an extra to take the streets)
  • Elevation gain: 1,100 feet
  • Difficulty: Moderate
  • Miles thus far: 172/200 miles this year


This is one of two spots to park at Terwilliger Trailhead

Terwilliger Trailhead (Marquam Trail)

View over Portland at the top of Council Crest
Council Crest
Council Crest
Council Crest
Sunset view at Council Crest

Sunset view at Council Crest

Council Crest
Thank goodness for me being prepared with a headlamp!

No comments:

Post a Comment