"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list" ~ Susan Sontag

Sunday, January 24, 2016

{Hoyt Arboretum & all about the 52 Hike Challenge}

I found a great challenge for the new year. It is called the 52 Hike Challenge - Adventure Series and entails of 52 hikes before the year ends.  The general challenge only includes that but the adventure series has some specifics. So within my 52 hikes this year:
  • 5 Waterfalls (even if they are dry)
  • 1 Forest (if not possible, go to National Park/ Site)
  • 1 National Parks, Monuments, Preserves, Recreation Area or Historic Trail
  • 2 Hikes to bodies of water: Lakes, Rivers, or Ocean
  • 1 Stewardship hike (pick up trash or join group to help with a restoration project)
  • 1 Group hike (if you are regular to one group, visit a new group to meet new people)
  • 1 Introduce someone new to hiking (on an easy trail)
  • 1 Hike from your Bucket list (somewhere you have always wanted to go)
  • 3 Reflection hikes (journal at the beginning, middle, and towards the end of your challenge).
I'm excited for the year and encourage everyone to opt outside! I'll be on instagram and using the hashtag #52hikechallengewithdonqua. So as anyone who follows me and is also taking the challenge, please tag your photos with this so I can keep up with everyone!

For the first hike of my year, I explored through the beautiful winter wonderland of Hoyt Arboretum. The incredible thing about this place is that it was like a zoo exhibit for different types of trees. I'm kind of a nerd for that. 

Date of hike: January 9th, 2016
Distance: 5 Miles
Elevation gain: 425 Feet

Difficulty: Easy



 Viewing deck in the Redwoods


 Winter Garden
 Overlooking Portland




No comments:

Post a Comment