"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list" ~ Susan Sontag

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Mt. Jefferson {Whitewater Trailhead to Jefferson Park}

Well, my hikes don't always turn out the way I'd like. But at least my body will thank me for them later.  This Saturday of hiking was not ideal. First, there was a mix up in communication of when this hike was happening, so the friend that was planning on going with me ended up bailing. However, I was determined to hike regardless, and I really wanted to do this hike. So I trekked out toward Detroit on my own. At the same time, I did let at least two people know where I was going and what time they should start to be concerned if I had not contacted them.

The other hangup I ran into was the weather. It had just rained, so the fog and clouds were still low. This meant that the "stunning" sights of Mt. Jefferson were all but something to picture in my head. And then, I didn't make it all the way to Jefferson Park because I did not feel like crossing a freezing cold creek.

I am sure this hike would be WONDERFUL on a nice day. However, this day was not a nice day. I was sorely disappointed.  The terrain was pretty rocky so it was tough on my ankles and knees. And all these things would have been super worth it, except I didn't get much of a view. Oh well!

I still recommend this hike! Just make sure its going to be a nice day, and be prepared to cross a creek if you want to get all the way to Jefferson Park! I also recommend bringing an extra sweater, being this high up on the mountain, it gets pretty cold!


  • Date of hike: October 11th, 2014
  • Distance: 8 Miles to the creek and back  (11 miles round trip to Jefferson Park)
  • Elevation gain: 1800 feet (that is all the way to Jefferson Park)
  • Difficulty: Moderate
  • Miles thus far: 188/200 miles this year


 The sun finally came out for a little while at the end of my hike, but not enough to see much.

 My supposed amazing view of Mt. Jefferson
 Loving the fall colors


 The creek I ended at, I figured it looked too cold to cross that day.


Needless to say I wasn't jazzed about the trip, but at least know it was good for my body!

No comments:

Post a Comment